Urban Homesteading on a Small City Lot: Chickens: 7 weeks old and full of sass.

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Chickens: 7 weeks old and full of sass.

Wow! The chickens are growing.  They are still just as friendly as they ever were, but they sure are sure of themselves.  When I first put them outside in their coup during the day, the neighborhood cats scared the crap out of them.  Now they have figured out the cats can't get in, so they taunt them.  It is ridiculous.  I will try to get a video of it one of these days. One of the neighbors likes to come over and feed them grass from her hand.  They tear into it with gusto, only occasionally missing and pecking her hand.  I feed them from my hands every day so they learn to come when I call them.  I give them grass, weeds, or just their crumbles.

Here are Fluffy (who is the least fluffy of them all now, by the way) and Ginger.  They are sitting on their outside perch.  This is where they have been sleeping at night.  I have been trying to get them to go in the little coup house at night.  They like to run in there when they get scared, but it is very hot in there when it is 90 degrees outside, so they prefer the outdoor roost.

This is Brie and Lilith.  They are the most friendly and curious.  In this picture they have run over to see what treats I might have for them.

Look at those girls.  They are running over because I just opened to the door to the run.  Shortly after this they pecked the camera to see if it tasted good. I am loving that they are outdoors all day and night now.   They were getting too messy and smelly for keeping in the house.  All of our neighbors love them.  One neighbor said she is thinking of getting some herself.  My evil plan is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment